BSCS Science Tracks: Connecting Science And Literacy: Investigating Properties Student Guide
Author(s): Biological Sciences Curriculum Studies-10789
PHYSICAL SCIENCE-Students use their senses to observe and describe the properties of objects and the materials from which the objects are made. They sort and classify objects according to their properties and explain their classification systems. The module introduces simple tools of science, such as rulers, magnifiers, and balances so that students can describe the properties of objects more precisely.
BSCS Science Tracks includes a comprehensive Student Guide and resource book at every level, 1-5. The Student Guide is not a "read-about-science" book; rather, it serves as a guide to help students learn to do the following things.
- Conduct scientific inquiries within a collaborative team and on their own
- Become more responsible for their own learning
- Manage the hands-on activities themselves
- Structure collaborative learning tasks
- Develop science and technology concepts and skills
- Reflect on their learning and assess their own conceptual and skill development
- Conduct independent inquiries related to questions or topics of personal interest
- Develop skills for reading in the content areas
- Follow and interpret directions
In addition, the Student Guides reinforce components of basic literacy, including shared reading and writing, guided reading and writing, continuous assessment, skills instruction, reading procedural text, listening and speaking skills, journal writing, record keeping, hints and reminders, reading and writing in a social context, and reading and writing in a content area.
Introduction: Doing Science
Lesson 1: Lots of Leaves
Lesson 2: String Stuff
Lesson 3: Shoe Store
Lesson 4: Are Properties Important?
Lesson 5: Put It in Order
Lesson 6: Where Does It Belong?
Lesson 7: Gloop