Kendall Hunt Publishing, Desmos Form Partnership with Addition of Digital Graphing Calculator to Curricula
June 24, 2016
This spring, Kendall Hunt Publishing Company announced a partnership with Desmos, an ed-teach product known for offering an online graphing calculator. This fall, this digital math component will be integrated with Kendall Hunt’s Discovering Algebra.
Using what Desmos calls, “Our powerful and blazingly-fast math engine, this calculator can instantly plot any equation, from lines and parabolas up through derivatives and Fourier series. Sliders make it a breeze the demonstrate function transformers.”
Its full range of features include:
- Graphing: Plot polar, cartesian or parametric graphics. There’s no limit to how many expressions can be graphed at one time (and expressions don’t even have to be entered in y=form).
- Sliders: Adjust values interactively to build intuition or animate any parameter to visualize its effect on the graph.
- Tables: Input and plot data or create an input-output table for any function.
- Statistics: Find best-fit lines, parabolas and more.
- Zooming: Scale the axes independently or at the same time with the pinch of two fingers or edit the window size manually to get the perfect window.
- Points of Interest: Touch a curve to show maximums and points of intersection. Tap the gray points of interest to see their coordinates. Hold and drag along a curve to see the coordinates change under your finger.
- Scientific Calculator: Just type in any equation you want to solve and Desmos will show you the answer. It can handle square roots, logs, absolute value and more.
“Kendall Hunt Publishing is honored to integrate this best-in-class graphic calculator to Discovering Algebra’s digital program,” said Kendall Hunt Director of Curriculum Tim Pope.
“Like Kendall Hunt, Desmos is passionate about giving students an engaging math experience,” said Katy Elkin, Director of Partnerships at Desmos. “We are thrilled to begin our partnership with Kendall Hunt and Discovering Algebra.”