Insights: Grades K-1 Balls & Ramps Teacher's Guide
Author(s): Education Development Center Inc
This module builds on children's prior experiences with balls and how they move. Children focus on two themes: the properties and characteristics of balls and some of the factors that affect the way balls behave.
Children begin by comparing how a wide variety of balls roll and bounce; next they construct balls out of clay and many other materials; and then they explore the movement of different balls as the balls roll down ramps, through tubes, and around bends.
Each Teacher Guide includes:
- Specific teaching and management strategies
- Detailed teaching sequences for teaching the first three phases of the Learning Experience (Getting Started; Exploring and Discovering; and Processing For Meaning)
- Reproducible masters for Student Science Notebook pages, Group Recording Sheets, and Home-School Worksheets
- Extension activities in science, language arts and social studies
- Assessment materials (an introductory questionnaire, embedded assessments, and a final questionnaire consisting of performance and written components)
- Science Background (provides general science concepts as they are introduced and developed in the module) to help prepare teacher
- Teacher and Student Resources section (annotated lists of children's books, teacher reference books, and technological aids)