Insights: Grades K-1 Living Things Teacher's Guide
Author(s): Education Development Center Inc
This module builds on the natural curiosity and excitement young children have for the natural world around them. Throughout the module, they observe changes in a tree; examine the plants and animals living in and around the tree; and look at other living things nearby.
Children think about and discuss the many needs of plants and animals and the interdependence living things have on one another. Using these experiences, children build terrariums in the classroom.
Each Teacher Guide includes:
- Specific teaching and management strategies
- Detailed teaching sequences for teaching the first three phases of the Learning Experience (Getting Started; Exploring and Discovering; and Processing For Meaning)
- Reproducible masters for Student Science Notebook pages, Group Recording Sheets, and Home-School Worksheets
- Extension activities in science, language arts and social studies
- Assessment materials (an introductory questionnaire, embedded assessments, and a final questionnaire consisting of performance and written components)
- Science Background (provides general science concepts as they are introduced and developed in the module) to help prepare teacher
- Teacher and Student Resources section (annotated lists of children's books, teacher reference books, and technological aids)